During the first half of the 13th century, the emperor of Nikikas, Theodoros Laskaris I, was the founder of the Holy Monastery of Strofadi. As was the custom of the Byzantine emperors, it was dedicated to Jesus Christ. According to the historian L. Zoi, the emperor John Palaiologos renovated the monastery, around the year 1440 AD.
The monastery looks like a castle and inside the church, something that is unique to an Orthodox monastery. In the whole castle is the chapel of Agios Georgios, there was the tomb of the Holy Body of our Saint for a few years. According to Chiotis, in 1530 or 1538, the Saracens attacked the monastery and the fathers of the monastery were slaughtered. After this disaster the monastery slowly began to be restored. In 1568 the Zakynthian counterpart Draganikos Sigouros was named Daniel and was ordained a Monk of the Monastery of Strofadia. Around 1570 he became abbot of the Monastery according to the witnesses of the conventions at that time.As abbot, the Saint took care of various monasteries until his death when his wish to die came true, to be buried in the monastery of Strofadia on December 17, 1622.
A few years later the time came for the transfer of the Holy Body, and miraculously the Holy Body was found safe. The Holy Body of our Saint remained in Strofadia until August 19, 1717, when another attack was carried out by the Muslims who imprisoned and killed the monks of the monastery, except for two monks who managed to hide in the grove and survive.
The monks transported the Holy Body of our Saint to the city of Zakynthos (Zakynthos), where it remains to this day. Saint Dionysus remains on this island as a protector and guardian, giving his blessing to all who ask for it. Together with the Holy Body, a part of the monastery of Strofadia was also transferred to the city of Zakynthos where it remains to this day. The monastery has an important library and sacred vessels of great value. Parts of the library and the sacred utensils are not only found in the monastery of Zakynthos, but can also be found in the library of the Marcia of Venice.
The building of this historic Monastery was severely damaged by a violent earthquake (6.6 on the Richter scale on November 18, 1997).
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.